How to find an apprenticeship vacancy will depend on what apprenticeship you plan on applying for. This site has a vacancy search where you can search by location or apprenticeship type. If there are currently no vacancies in your area or of the type you want, you should contact your local Education and Training Board (ETB) and speak to the Authorised Officer. Some apprenticeships such require applicants to source an employer first, whereas some of the new apprenticeships types connect candidates to employers.
Only approved apprenticeships will be eligible for SOLAS financial support and a QQI award on successful completion. Without a QQI award your qualification will not be valid outside Ireland. Our vacancy search only has approved apprenticeships from approved employers. Taking up a job with a company does not mean that you have started an apprenticeship, check with your employer if you have started a SOLAS approved apprenticeship. If you are still uncertain contact SOLAS or your local Education and Training Board (ETB) office for clarity.
Apprenticeships in Ireland are:
- Industry-led by consortia of industry and education partners
- Lead to an award at Levels 5 to 10 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)
- Between 2-4 years in duration
- Minimum 50% on-the-job learning
- Flexible delivery – online, blended, off-the-job learning in increments/blocks
- Apprentices are employed under a formal contract of apprenticeship
- The employer pays the apprentice for the duration of the apprenticeship*
*For apprenticeships in place prior to 2016 the State pays a training allowance to apprentices during off-the-job training phases
Rates of pay will vary by employer for the on the job portion of the training, the details of the financial assistance the Apprentice will receive while they are attending off-the-job training, can be found here.